Monday, September 26, 2016

A Winning Way to Find a Literary Agent

I've been writing fiction, non-fiction, memoirs, blogs, websites, case studies - in fact pretty much anything that will take ink (or virtual ink) - for many years. And if you're also a writer you know how tough it is. But writing - fortunately or unfortunately - is only the start of the process particularly if you want to become traditionally published. Having finished a manuscript a writer still has many more mountains to climb.

One of the toughest of those peaks is landing a literary agent. In days gone by I was fortunate to have just such a person. But that fellow is long since retired. Consequently, and having finished a new novel, Dolphin Song (which was a huge undertaking for me - I won't even tell you how many years it took to complete), I have to start all over again.

In other words, my voyage toward finding a literary agent is once again just leaving port.

If you're in the same boat, then you're possibly doing what I am... a) asking anyone you know if they have an agent and, if so, begging for a reference  b) scouring the Internet for appropriate information and contacts and c) praying that your erstwhile journey will eventually prove fruitful before your emotional ship sinks at port.

However, I've found another avenue and thought I'd share it with you. A writer from Cincinnati, Mr Chuck Sambuchino, has organized a series of online contests - Dear Lucky Agent - which matches agents looking for authors and authors looking for agents. It's a wonderful idea which has proven successful for many.

So if, like me, you're looking for that elusive, plucky, loyal agent why not check out Chuck's website: http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/guide-to-literary-agents/24th-free-dear-lucky-agent-contest-literary-fiction.  Alternatively, visit the contest URL: http://tinyurl.com/hmelhd3  Or contact him via Facebook or Twitter (@chucksambuchino ). 

No comments:

Post a Comment