Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pat Caridad nee Richards - a Heck of a Woman

For just a moment I'd like to take time to pay a little homage. Yesterday my Aunt  Pat - Patricia Caridad nee Richards - passed away. She was 82. She grew up and lived most of her life in New Jersey. A few years ago, tired of those lousy northeastern winters, she moved to Florida with her husband Lou.

Life is a candle and shorter than we all think. We light it at birth and it burns brightly for years. And usually, we never anticipate that the flame will go out. But it does for all of us. Pat, I think, had a good life. She came from a strong mix of Welsh and Acadian stock some of which originated in France and carved out living spaces in the wilds of Prince Edward Island in northeast Canada, the same blood that swims in my veins. Her smile, her laugh, her love of life are facets of her character that I will always remember and cherish.

When I heard she had passed, for some reason I Googled her. Yet I couldn't find a single entry. The Internet, and those billions of servers that store vast quantities of data has, I think, a couple of useful qualities. One of them is to help keep the memories of those we love alive.

So to you, Pat Caridad nee Richards, I wish you God's speed on a new journey. Wherever you are, whatever you're doing, I hope that you find joy and peace and good living. And to your children - my cousins - Kathy and Jim, and to your brother Bill and sister Bobby - my father and Aunt - know that Pat's loving memory will always spark a smile within me.

Vade cum Deo
Your nephew, Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment