Wednesday, April 9, 2014

90,000 New Jobs Coming to Ireland by End-2015

Ireland's economy continues to rebound with most economic forecasters giving a positive spin to figures. For those of you thinking of a leap of faith into Ireland and a search for that elusive job, and as reported earlier, right now just might be the time.

Ibec, a representative body for Irish businesses, revised upward their economic forecasts for 2014 and 2015 citing impressive employment growth and a dramatic rise in consumer spending (for the full article reported in the Irish Times go to http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/irish-economy-on-way-back-says-ibec-economist-1.1752320.

GDP, a measure of economic activity including exports, is expected to grow by 2.9 percent in 2014 with further growth of 2.3 percent anticipated for 2015. This appears to be driven by positive consumer sentiment (the highest its been since 2007) which should see increased domestic spending.

Ibec anticipates that due to a number of factors, 90,000 jobs will be created in Ireland through 2015. That's a heck of a turn-around when considering  that Ireland's unemployment rate, and huge job losses, was spiraling out of control until quite recently.

As an open economy, Ireland's growth depends heavily on the economic health of its many export partners including Britain and the United States. However, the global economy (including the EU) continues to rebound which should help to fuel Ireland's economic turn-around.

The country still faces risks, of course. Euro exchange rates (compared to Sterling and Dollars) continues to strengthen making euro-currency goods and services more expensive. This could dampen Irish exports, which helped to drag the economy into contraction in late 2013. Increased direct and indirect taxes recently introduced by the Irish government (including property taxes, the Universal Social Charge, and the soon to be introduced water rates) will also continue to have a somewhat negative impact on Irish consumer spending by reducing disposable income further.

All in all, however, the outlook for Ireland's economy remains positive. Our economy appears to be rising Phoenix-like from the ashes of recession. And while over 11 percent of Ireland's workforce remains unemployed, and though we continue to wear hair shirts that causes us to consider every penny we spend, Ireland is at last seeing the bright light of hope at the end of a long economic winter.

A Survivor's Guide to Living in Ireland 2014 Kindle Edition Available Now
Want to learn more about living in Ireland? Are you thinking of traveling to Ireland or moving to Ireland? If so, you might consider the purchase of the 2014 Kindle ebook edition of A Survivor's Guide to Living in Ireland. Now 80,000+ words long, and having sold over 10,000 copies in its various editions, it could make the perfect gift for those interested in this wonderful country. Simply click on any of the links above to purchase this new Kindle version. You can also download various free aps to read this Kindle version on any PC or Mac. 



7 comments:

  1. Hi Tom,
    I have recently found this blog and it's really helping me answer some questions about a possible move to Ireland in the future. My husband is currently in the military in the US, Navy specifically, and he has mentioned that once he got out he would be able to find jobs internationally in his field. So I'm just wondering if you know where these jobs may be found in Ireland (I'm not sure at all of their military logistics) and if there would be the same sort of competition for them between Irish and international applicants? We are a young family and are trying to find the best place to raise our girls, currently 1 and 2. We are both of Irish heritage (pretty far back though) and what I've heard of the culture so far sounds like a place we'd like to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Carman. Navy, huh? My Sis is also Navy, now with the Reserves, working with a Navy contractor way up near the Mojave. She's had a great career and hope our hubby has experienced the same. Now to get to your questions:

    First, the downsides:

    First, I've no experience regarding the transfer of 'military-oriented skills' from abroad to Ireland. But what I will say is this: Ireland has a very small military - a small Navy, Army, and smaller Air Force. I've no idea about their need for logistics skills. But 'logistics' is a broad field that can be transferred to the private sector too. So I might suggest that he broaden his search to include private industry. To do that, see the URLs at the right hand side of this blog, or start researching by Googling 'Logistics Jobs Ireland' and see what comes up.

    Second: while the economy here is rocketing back to something like normal, it's still highly competitive. As US nationals (and not citizens of the EU) you will need a work permit here to work. To get one, you'll need to find an employer to apply on your behalf. It's a chicken / egg thing and rather difficult but can be done. I cover this topic in a number of entries here and suggest you trawl thru this blog for answers on this.

    The upsides: Ireland is a great place to raise children. It's the reason (or one of them) that I never moved back to the States. It's relatively safe, the educational system is good all the way from primary thru university, and kids go out into the world armed with relevant skills - most of them anyway.

    I wish you luck. If I can be of more help let me know. Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your quick response!

      He still has some time to serve before we could even start too look for work in the private sector in the US or abroad. He seems to have some contacts that would help him work on finding a job, thankfully.
      I guess my question is more of location, where are the shipyards and the general industry that accompanies such things.
      And the children are really the true reason we started to consider looking abroad. Public schooling here in the States is absolutely atrocious and private is so expensive and may not actually be better education anyways. We really don't like the direction that American culture, politics and social issues have headed in the past few years, decade even. So we are really just looking for a place where the pace of life is slower and family values exist outside of the home. It takes a village to raise a child and I'm not sure if I particularly like the direction this one is heading. We are currently stationed just a ferry ride from Seattle but we're both originally from the south, Tennessee and South Carolina. I just want my kids to get a good education and feel safe. I know there's always crime, violent crime even, but if we can escape even some of that I would be happy. I know the grass is always greener but I'm wondering if the Emerald Isle truly has the greenest.

      Delete
  3. Good hearing from you again Carman and thank you for sharing. Yep, the States seems tough these days. I go back every year to visit my father (in Tampa) and must say that I have trouble at times recognizing my country (and I'm a VERY proud American, let me tell you). However...

    Shipyards? In Ireland? Hmmmm...not sure what you mean by that but forget any comparison to the US. We have a tiny Navy and Merchant Marine here compared to most countries. Mind, I'm not a seaman nor involved in that area. Again, I suggest you Google.

    Is the grass greener in Ireland? Hard to say. Yes, in places life is much much slower. It's one of the reasons I finally moved to Eyeries, way down in Southwest County Cork. But these days, Eyeries is the exception rather than the rule. Remember that Ireland has been transformed since the mid-80s and its seeming poverty. This country is vibrant; it is the largest exporter of software in the world. Its pharmaceutical industry is growing fast. Dublin continues to grow quickly - with house prices to match, I'm afraid. So Ireland has been faced with the challenges that any quickly growing economy faces. How to manage growth yet retain some semblance of its original culture.

    That said, there are many positives. As previously mentioned, and compared to many places, it is a safe place to bring up children. The school system is good. Mind you, don't expect to see the infrastructure that the States has. No giant pools in schools. No immense theatres. But the 3 R's seem to be alive and well.

    As stated previously, the quality of education is one of the many reasons I never returned to my home. And based on the success of my children (now 33, 30 and 26 and who have all been brought up here since birth) I think I've made the right decision. Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again Tom!
    The giant pools and theaters aren't what we're looking for, we are more concerned with the 5 hours of homework the kids bring home instead of doing their learning at school. Also the HUGE class sizes and the large number of teachers more concerned about the status of their pension than their job of education. There are always exceptions and exceptional teachers as well but the bad ones seem to overshadow them and do so much more damage to the little one's learning. The excessive litigiousness is a real problem for us as well. When a mother who puts her kids in the car after grocery shopping, locks it, and then steps 8 feet away to return the buggy to the rack is arrested for neglect and endangerment, we have a problem. Yes, that actually happened and I've heard of other similar instances. Like I said, we have some time but from our discussion here and the more I explore the blog the more interested I am in making Ireland our future home. My only question is that some of the posts are older, up to 6 years old. And while the comments may be newer, I'm wondering how much may have changed since you have given responses. I'm thinking particularly about one in April 2009? where you discuss places within commuting distance to Dublin. Thanks so much again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well. I find your comments re: 'The Homeland' eye-opening. I've not lived in the States for almost 33 years now and my have things changed. Can't say I envy you. With my luck I'd be thrown into jail for spitting on the street...

    But to your question re: April 09 - I scanned that month (I forgot how many entries there were back then) and most of the info still applies, but am not sure exactly which entry you're talking about. If you let me know I'll address it further.

    I'm assuming, however, that you're asking about commuting distance neighborhoods and their expense. Carman, what I'm going to do is write a new Post and I'll try to do that today. It's a good topic, I owe the Blog a new entry (have been busy at this end for a change), and have a bit of time today. So take a look. And if you haven't 'joined' the Blog you might want to. I gather members receive automatic notifications when new Posts are created. So more later and hang in there, Carman. Tom :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news, Thanks Tom! I've followed and will be delving into the book soon!

    ReplyDelete